These are my observations of The Ghetto. MY OBSERVATIONS.
- Direct descendants of systematically oppressed people reside in the ghetto.
- I’m speaking in particular about those who didn’t make it out, and those who didn’t make it out without first slipping through the engineered cracks of society.
- Access to capital is virtually non-existent.
- Offers a market; unemployment runs rampant due to members being ostracized and marginalized, mainly because of poor education resulting from poor public policy.
- Underground Industries include: dealing drugs, boosting clothes, scheming, jacking, pimping/prostituting. An array of “illegal activity.”
- Other income generating activities include doing hair, babysitting and other odd end jobs.
- Neighbor “hoods” are made up of families who live within them. The children and teenagers are protected by the old heads, the older members of the community.
- Offers security, if your family is known you are protected and insulated from stupid mistakes.
- Naturally conflict and beef arise within this microcosm of society hence “Black on Black” crime.
- Foreigners and enlightened people in general seeking a better life through entrepreneurship have this community to exploit. This halts self sufficiency and “Black owned businesses.” (Why aren’t White and Asian owned businesses classified this way?)
- “Black on Black” crime exists because outsiders don’t reside in the hood, therefore are somewhat safe guarded from the ill activity. Outsiders can be seen as unfairly advantaged and as easy targets. Misguided anger leads to unfortunate confrontation.
- The police do their best to keep these communities segregated, seeing the ghetto folks as the usual suspects and the outsiders as innocent victims.
- Jail can be seen as a rites of passage. In a way many are expected to go, and often times revered when released and celebrated as a homecoming experience.
- Doing a bid is something that results from being forced into hood industries. Some just straight up rebel and rage against the machine though.
- Typically youth receive a slap on the wrist from the criminal justice system; negative conditioning results from rewarding poor behavior.
- Other members suffer from mental disorders and don’t receive proper diagnosis or treatment at any stage in life. Some mental disorders arise from no fault of one’s own; some from being in an oppressive, poverty-like environment. This can be misinterpreted as being deviant from society, also resulting in incarceration.
- It’s not beneficial to anyone to “glorify” the ghetto, but it’s also extremely detrimental to all to act as if these people don’t exist. Why is their condition such? Let’s go backwards and see. Let’s divide the accountability accurately. Always be careful of a critic’s perspective and purpose.
- In the movie Friday (1995) Ice Cube wanted to show that though life wasn’t all luxurious, it wasn’t all gloomy either and they knew how to have fun. Not everyone was shady, however everyone was connected and suffered from each other’s actions.
Thanks for reading!